Training course on the operational use of information systems and electronic chart display (Electronic Chart Display and Information System – ECDIS) – Operator level
Course duration and timing
40 hours, divided in five days, of which not less than 22 hours will be engaged in practical exercises on the simulator for each student .
Satisfy requirements for the competence of the deck officers that have to board on ships E.C.D.I.S. , in compliance with:
- IMO STCW International Convention, established in 1978 – (Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers), in its current version
- The IMO MSC.232 (82) resolution “Revision of the standards of performance of ECDIS systems”, adopted in December 5th, 2006;
- I / 8 Regulation of the annex to the above mentioned Convention and the corresponding AI / 8 section of the STCW Code ’951 (and subsequent amendments2);
- I/12Regulation of the annex to the above mentioned Convention and the corresponding AI/12 section of the STCW Code ’95;
- Guidelines contained in BI/12 section of the STCW Code;
- I / 6 Regulation of the above mentioned annex and the corresponding AI / 6 section of the STCW Code ’95
- IMO Model Course 1.27;
- V/19 and V/27 rules of updated and revised edition of SOLAS Convention;
- December 5th , 2011 Decree of the Ministry of Infrastructure and Transport and July 7th, 2011 n. 136 Legislative Decree
- Implementation of 2008/106/EC Directive on the minimum level of training for seafarers.
1. Legal aspects and requirements
- Legal issues and responsibility using ECDIS;
- Main legal issues ;
- Operational requirements;
- Standard performances;
- Use of data;
- Educational requirements.
2. Main types of electronic nautical charts
- Fundamental characteristics of the main types of electronic charts, RASTER-VECTOR;
3. E.C.D.I.S data
- Safety information and main characteristics of ECDIS data, their use on board and assessment of errors due to incorrect use of the informations;
- Used terms and definitions;
- Data structure and database;
- ENC making;
- Quality of data;
- System reference;
- Distribution of data ;
- Entering and saving data.
4. ECDIS Data presentation
- Characteristics of ECDIS data visualization and selection of the information for navigation;
- Describe the maritime library available;
- Modifying the chart layout;
- Purpose and selection of chart’s data;
- Automatic presentation of the required rules;
- Methods of presentation.
- Sensors limits and their impact assessment on the safe ECDIS use;
- Performance limits;
- Spare sensor;
- System reference data;
- Select appropriate or ambiguous data from the sensors;
- Data entry error in the sensors.
6. Basic navigation functions and settings
- Use of the basic navigation functions and their settings;
- Automatic functions;
- Manual functions;
- Chart and data input settings;
- Additional information;
- Type of used vector/s.
7. Specific functions for route and voyage planning. Using all the functions and getting all the relevant information from ECDIS for voyage planning.
- Select the area in which the ship is located;
- Information about the voyage plan;
- Tracing the route;
- Editing the created route;
- WOP and ROT;
- Additional notes to the voyage plan (for example WP pending …)
- Safety limits;
- Checking safety limits;
- Landing route.
Rules and standards
STCW ’95 Code ( and following amendments) – 5/12/2011 Decree – 7/07/2011 Legislative Decree- national and international rules and guidelines- MIT Circular and “MARICOGECAP” – (see RGQ archives) – IMO Model course 1.27 – Simulator NS4000 manual (Navi Sailor 4000) produced and certified by TRANSAS MEDITERRANEAN SAS.
Exam and certificate
To complete the training course in the use of electronic charts display and information systems, at the end of the course, each candidate will be assessed through an examination consisting in theoretical and practical tests, in front of a committee chaired by an Officer or by a Petty Officer of the Designated Maritime Authorithy, and composed by the course Director and at least two members of the trainers staff.
The Commission shall determine the evaluation method/s for candidates in order to ensure an objective assessment of the achievement of the course objectives.
Target Group for the Course
Deck Officers that have to board on ships equipped with an Electronic Chart Display and Information System -ECDIS.
For each course may be admitted seamen holding the appropriate certificate in compliance with regulation II / 1 of the IMO STCW 78/95 Convention also from foreign countries.
Tema Safety & Training S.R.L. Training Centre Telefono: (+39) 0994725898 Fax: (+39) 0994725690
- Teaching material for tests and practicals
- Insurance coverage
- Shuttle service to / from Taranto railway station / TST